lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "host unknown" <linux_new...@hotmail.com>
Subject RangeQuery Note
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:31:20 GMT
Hi All,

I've spent the weekend mulling over a problem I had with a RangeQuery over a
Price field.  The problem was that prices can range from 1 to many digits
(no cents, just dollars).  My searches were returning inconsistent results.
After much debugging and playing around I found that 99 != 000099.  I've
since converted all my prices to zero filled strings of length 8 and the
searches are working properly.

Question/Comment:

Is this a bug in the sense that searching a range from 0 to 100 should
return 99 (as opposed to 099)? if it isn't this might make a helpful note in
the javadoc.

Have a great day,
Dominic
madison.com

P.S.
Feel free to add us to your list of happy Lucene users.  We're currently
using Lucene for our archives search (www.madison.com/archives), currently
building our classifieds search (www.madison.com/class), and will be
expanding into a full site search as time permits.  Our archives are
receiving nearly 1000 searches a day (It's only been live for a bit over a
month now) and we've been receiving rave reviews about the speed and
accuracy of the results sets.

Many Thanks