lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Indexing Tips and Hints
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:10:35 GMT

On Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003, at 11:48 Europe/Zurich, Andrzej Bialecki
wrote:

> This is strange, or at least counter-intuitive - if you buffer larger
> parts of data in RAM than the standard implementation does, it should
> definitely be faster... Let's wait and see what Terry comes up with.
>
> BTW. how large indexes did you use for testing?

A small testing set: around 100 MB.

> Also, it could be that the indexing process is bound by some other
> bottleneck,

Most definitively.

>  and buffering helps only when searching already existing index.

Ooops... forgot to mention that the purpose of my testing was to test
searching... I don't mind indexing speed that much... in any case...
more generally I wanted to see if a buffered random access file would
help in my peculiar situation... but no noticeable differences in my
case one way or another... on the other hand... that could be just me
as there is much more than straightforward Lucene indexing/searching
going on. Let that not discourage you :-) In any case, Lucene itself is
pretty speedy overall. The only bottleneck is index merging in my
experience.

Cheers,

PA.