lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Volker Luedeling" <v.luedel...@brox.de>
Subject Number range search through Query subclass
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:58:26 GMT
Hi,

I am writing an application that constructs Lucene searches from XML queries. Each item from
the XML is represented by a Query of the corresponding type. I have a problem when I try to
search for number ranges, since RangeQuery compares strings, not numbers, so 15 < 155 <
20. What I need is a subclass of Query that evaluates numbers correctly. I have tried subclassing
RangeQuery, MultiTermQuery or Query directly, but each time I have run into problems with
inheritance and access rights to various methods or inner classes.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? If there is none, the only way I can think
of would be indexing numbers as something like "#15#". But it's not a very elegant solution
when all I need is a slight variation of one existing class.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Volker