lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Ritchie <br...@jivesoftware.com>
Subject Re: xpdf parser usage for lucene
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:31:46 GMT
Pinky,

If you had actually read the documentation that came with pdftotext you would know that if
you pass
in a - (dash) as the output filename it will stream the text to stdout. This is exactly what
the
code Matt Tucker showed you before did which is copied below. It's all there in his message.

As for summary and title info, you'll probably have to use a pdf parsing library to gain access
that from the pdf.

String[] cmd = new String[] {
         PATH_TO_XPDF, "-enc", "UTF-8", "-q", PDF_FILE_TO_PARSE, "-"};
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
BufferedInputStream bis = new BufferedInputStream(p.getInputStream());
InputStreamReader reader = new InputStreamReader(bis, "UTF-8");
StringWriter out = new StringWriter();
char [] buf = new char[512];
int len;
while ((len = reader.read(buf)) >= 0) {
     out.write(buf, 0, len);
}
reader.close();

You should of course wrap this in a try/catch block, etc.

Regards,

Bruce Ritchie

--
AOL - bruceritchie101