lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Barry <mba...@cos.com>
Subject Re: Indexing Tips and Hints
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:58:57 GMT
Thanks for all the info. I've been working on streamlining my indexing
and I've finally
found the message from last year that intrigued me

 (http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=1220).

In that message, karl øie suggests

1. use a ramdir, and mutliple fsdirs
2. merge the fsdirs into a single fsdir
3. use threads

(Of course he provides more details.)

I have a question concerning RAMDirectories - is there any benefit using
them over setting the
mergeFactor higher? Also, I notice a lot of  advice to use
RAMDirectories but not much verbage on
how to use them effectively.

In the above msg from Karl, he suggests writing to a RAMDirectory and
then at
some point flush the RAMDirectory to an FSDirectory. Anyone have any
code to illuminate
that? It's the "flushing" part that's getting me. Is flushing just
calling list() on the
RAMDirectory and then deleteFile() each one? Originally I was just
creating a new
RAMDirectory each time I needed one (not the best approach but it does
work).

I know I should spend time profiling the code and see exactly where the
bottle necks
occur and I will do that but I'd like to get a good handle on the
multiple ways to
index also.

Thanks for your time, Mike.