lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: % of Relevance
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:19:34 GMT
On Tuesday 11 February 2003 07:48, Nellai wrote:
> Hi!
>
> can anyone tell me how to calculate the % of relevance using Lucene.

Lucene's hit score is normalized float, ] 0.0, 1.0 ] (since 0.0 ones are never
included). From there it's basic arithmetics (perhaps this could be included
in FAQ , even though it is fairly trivial). The simples way would be:

... // get the search results,
float score = hits.score(docNr); // between 0.0 and 1.0 (including 1.0)
int pctScore = (int) (100.0f * score);

Also note that it's not guaranteed that all searches have any 100% matching
docs; for example when none of the docs matches all clauses, and clauses are
combined with OR-query. Same may also happen (I think?) if best match for
different sub-clauses is different?

You may also want to normalize the score if you always want your top match to
be 100% (or have some range that gets rounded up)... users are known to want
silly features like that. :-)

-+ Tatu +-