lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <>
Subject Re: Document.setBoost(float??) |
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 15:38:35 GMT
On Wednesday 05 February 2003 23:54, Rishabh Bajpai wrote:
> document changes if we give a boost factor. but i am not clear as to why we
> want the document score to change like this; rather each of the field's

A guess: this was an something easy to implement and still useful for some
users (since in many cases some documents can be considered "better", based
on some feedback or source or type). It doesn't really replace more advanced
methods of figuring out relevance. So what you are requesting could well
co-exist with doc boost feature.

> score within the document should vary? Suppose i am searching for "i am
> rishabh"....i want to boost "rishabh" when i am tokenizing this phrase and
> indexing it...this would essentially mean that "rishabh" shold have a
> greater relevancy than "i" and "am" in each of the documents to which these
> fields are added?

I don't know if there's any feature that would do exactly that, but if you can
separate just one or two classes of "more important" words (keywords), you
could create separate index(es) for those, and boost the search to keyword
index higher than search for other plain text content.

-+ Tatu +-

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message