lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Syntax Problem
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:04:04 GMT
I have an index which, when searched with this query ("cloning clone animal") produces 1103
hits.  A different, more narrow query ("(cloning clone) AND animal") produces only 19 hits.

What's puzzling to me is that if I try a different (but supposedly identical) form of the
more narrow query ("+(cloning clone) +animal"), it produces 1103 hits rather than the 19 that
I expect.

In other words, "+(cloning clone) +animal" appears to be the equivalent of "cloning OR clone
OR animal" rather than "(cloning OR clone) AND animal".

Am I misunderstanding something about the "+ -" syntax, or is this some kind of bug?

Regards,

Terry