lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject How to obtain unique field values
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:24:15 GMT
One final Lucene question for the day...

Is it possible for me to retrieve all the values of a particular field
that exists within an index, across all documents?  I don't really need
(or want) to retrieve all documents and then collate them myself into
unique values, and it seems this information should be readily
accessible somehow.  If so, could you share how?

For example, I'm indexing documents that have a "category" associated
with them.  Several documents will share the same category.  I'd like
to be able to retrieve all categories.

And if you are curious what my project actually is - its my custom
blogger, BlogScene: http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/servlets/blogscene
- its a Lucene-based blogger (hence part of the reason for its name).
All documents are indexed and stored in a Lucene index, and retrieved
dynamically for every request.  Thanks to Lucene its working very very
nicely!  I just need to add some polish to it, such as a category list
and such.

	Erik