lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Lucene Speed under diff JVMs
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:11:50 GMT
To clarify (which means adding the info I should have put in it the first time but missed),
the run was of 40,000 documents.  The number was an average.

Each run was done twice (and the results were identical).

And the machine was a dual processor machine, so most OS tasks ran on the idle processor,
while the indexing process gobbeled up the other one.

And I'm definitely not trying to say one JVM is better than another, but for this task of
creating a lucene index, there is a very noticeable speed difference.  I was really just curious
if anyone else had done any tests similar to this.

Dan

> As you can see, the IBM jvm pretty much smoked Suns.  And beat out
> JRockit as well.  Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if search
> times were also faster under the IBM jdk.  Has anyone else come to this
> conclusion?

Just a brief note on performance measurements and statistical sampling: no
offense, but if these are measurements of a single trial of 1000 documents
for each JVM, they're not so different that I'd be willing to conclude
that one JVM is notably faster for this task than another.  The problem is
compounded by the fact that it can be hard to tell just how much CPU is
being taken up by OS tasks (and this can fluctuate quite a lot).  If you
really want to quote statistics like this, using 5 or 10 trials would give
a more accurate notion of the real performance differences (if any).

Casuistically :),

Joshua O'Madadhain

  jmadden@ics.uci.edu....Obscurium Per Obscurius....www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson