lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: Empty phrase search
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:20:22 GMT
Hi,

The thought of having an extra field to distinguish this information is
won't really be that much extra work (maybe 10 min).

You will probably have to create your own Lucene Document type anyway,
or modify one that already exists such as the HTML document. This
information about empty fields could easily be added.

As far as if it's a hack, I would say no way. Any other search engine
has to track this information some how (nothing is free) maybe they
have a hidden field that describes this. In Lucene you'll know how it's
all built and have lots of flexibility.

Anyway, if you put it in your own Document, you can have ultimate
control as to what constitutes an "empty string".

It would be good to hear which way you go and why. It's always good to
hear why people went with one solution over another. It gives us at
Lucene feedback about what matters to people.

--Peter