lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Reichhold" <reichh...@singingfish.com>
Subject RE: Lucene Speed under diff JVMs
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:16:27 GMT
It doesn't surprise me that the IBM JDK is faster indexing.  This JVM is
better optimized in this case from my experience.

I did some serious load testing with various JVM implementation from Sun
and IBM and found that the opposite when it came to searching.  I.e.
Lucene searches were fastest under Sun 1.4.1.  This JVM was consequently
able to handle a higher load (faster response increases queries/second).
IBM was drastically slower at handling queries.  I've never tried
Jrocket since I don't like the cost.

The index for my tests had 7million records and 6 major fields.  Queries
were randomly chosen from a list of 2 million real user queries.  The
query load was meant to simulate real loads from a production site.
This was all accomplished on a single 1U, Redhat Linux 7.2, 2-processor
box with 1 GB of RAM.  Query times were very good compared to previous
indexing methods.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Armbrust, Daniel C. [mailto:Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 2:47 PM
To: 'Lucene Users List'
Subject: Lucene Speed under diff JVMs

This may be of use to people who want to make lucene index faster.
Also, I'm curious as to what JVM most people run Lucene under, and if
anyone else has seen results like this:

I'm using the class that Otis wrote (see message from about 3 weeks ago)
for testing the scalability of lucene (more results on that later) and I
first tried running it under different versions of Java, to see where it
runs the fastest.  The class simply creates an index out of randomly
generated documents.

All of the following were running on a dual CPU 1 GHz PIII Windows 2000
machine that wasn't doing much else during the benchmark.  The indexing
program was single threaded, so it only used one of the processors of
the machine.

java version "1.3.1_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_04-b02)

42 seconds/1000 documents

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21) Java
HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)

42 seconds/1000 documents

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01) BEA
WebLogic JRockit(R) Virtual Machine (build
8.0_Beta-1.4.1_01-win32-CROSIS-20021105-1617, Native Threads,
Generational Concurrent Garbage Collector)

35 seconds/1000 documents

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1) Classic
VM (build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM Windows 32 build cn131-20020403 (JIT
enabled: jitc))

27 seconds/1000 documents

As you can see, the IBM jvm pretty much smoked Suns.  And beat out
JRockit as well.  Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if search
times were also faster under the IBM jdk.  Has anyone else come to this
conclusion?

Dan

For additional commands, e-mail: