lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rob Outar" <rou...@ideorlando.org>
Subject Working with a Distributed System
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:05:58 GMT
All,

	I have what I think is an interesting problem.  I am working on a
distributed system where all repositories on each node have to be kept in
sync.  I am using Lucene on each node to index the data.  Users are allowed
to associate Fields with files, set values of existing fields, these fields
then have be also be associated with the same document on other nodes.  I am
using broadcast events to update the other nodes.  The problem is when a new
node joins in, I am not sure how to get the changes to the various indexes
to that node.  All nodes that are running together should be in sync, but
when a new node joins it does not know about any of the changes.  The basic
problem is how do I keep the indexes the same on all of the nodes.  I though
about maybe setting up a CVS Server and storing the index in it then when a
new node joins it checks out the index but I do not know enough about the
internal of Lucene to know if that will work, I will be constantly
committing files because the index will get updated a lot on the various
nodes, also will node b's committed files overwrite node a's files which
means nodes a changes to the index will be lost... very difficult problem,
if anyone has any thoughts on this subject I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Rob