lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Craig Walls <wal...@michaels.com>
Subject Re: Fun project?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:16:21 GMT

I've been toying with a similar idea for a couple of months now. Very similar to
what you describe except that the app would be focused on indexing and sharing
GEDCOM (genealogy data) files in a P2P network.

My plan is to use Lucene to index the GEDCOM files with searchable fields such as
surname, location (of birth, marriage, death, etc) and dates of various events in
an individual's life. The client itself would probably be a Swing app, but I've
been tinkering with Thinlets lately and they're starting to appeal to me.
Finally, I had planned on using JXTA to implement the P2P part. Mostly because
that's all I know about and partly because I have a friend who authored a book on
JXTA that I can annoy with questions if necessary. (Incidentally--and slightly
off-topic, in case anyone wants to try something like this with JXTA, let me save
you some headache: I recommend against using Peer Resolver for performing the
search...it only *sorta* works. A better choice, according to my author friend,
would be propogate pipes, but I've not tried this yet.)