lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Deleting fields from a Document
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:51:27 GMT
Kelvin Tan wrote:
> Does an in-memory Field guarantee access to its name and value? Say I
> retrieve a Field from a Document A, and add it to a new Document B.
> Before writing B to the index, I delete A. Would B still contain the
> Field? If so, does it work for both String-based and Reader-based
> values?

Readers can only be consumed once and they are never stored.  So a
retrieved document will never have a Reader-valued field, and if a
Document instance with a Reader-valued field is added to two indexes
then this field will in effect only be added to the first index.

Other than that, documents instances may be added to multiple indexes.
Deleting a document from an index does not alter a retrieved document
instance.  Note however that retrieved document instances will not
contain unstored fields.

Doug