lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul <>
Subject Re: Working with a Distributed System
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:48:23 GMT
My initial reaction to the first post was to use rsync too. I was about
to post that, when I read Ype's post. ;-)

Another option is to do what we're doing, and write a daemon
which talks to Lucene on the server it runs on, and also serves
requests coming in on a specific port. That way many clients
can have the benefit of one index.

You are welcome to our source, once we've got it to a stage
where we can wrap it all up nicely and Open Source it. As
it stands it is currently working well in a beta form.

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> That is the approach I took at my previous job, which involved some
> Lucene work.  I used sdist, to securely distribute the whole index (the
> whole dir with index files) to a number of remote machines.
> This may not work well if indices need to constantly be in sync, and if
> the index can be modified on all index nodes.
> How about using JMS and publish/subscribe with maybe time-stamped
> messages, etc.?
> Otis
> --- Ype Kingma <> wrote:
> > On Friday 01 November 2002 15:05, Rob Outar wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have what I think is an interesting problem.  I am working on a
> > > distributed system where all repositories on each node have to be
> >
> > Assuming you run Unix, you might try and use rsync.
> > It works like cp (copy) but it takes into account what is already on
> > the destination.
> > See
> > I'd like to hear how it works for lucene indexes...
> > Kind regards,
> > Ype

Morton's Law:
	If rats are experimented upon, they will develop cancer.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message