lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kelvin Tan <>
Subject Re: Deleting fields from a Document
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:28:56 GMT
This brings me to a related discussion:  in-memory and index Field

Does an in-memory Field guarantee access to its name and value? Say I
retrieve a Field from a Document A, and add it to a new Document B.
Before writing B to the index, I delete A. Would B still contain the
Field? If so, does it work for both String-based and Reader-based

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:40:40 -0800, Doug Cutting said:
>Kelvin Tan wrote:
>>Document maintains a linked list of Fields. It would be not be
>>difficult to delete a random Field, albeit a little inefficient.
>That would delete it from the in-memory representation, but, once it
>has been indexed, there is no easy way to remove a field value from
>a document other than to delete the document and re-add it.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:lucene-user-
>> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message