lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Re: Mushrooming Index Files
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:00:49 GMT
I need to modify my original issue below.  I was in error - the optimization
does indeed bring the total number of index files back to 46.  But further
experiments show that the total number of files seems to get even larger
than I indicated below if I do even a modest level of removing and adding
documents between optimizations.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Steichen" <terry@net-frame.com>
To: "Lucene Users Group" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 3:25 PM
Subject: Mushrooming Index Files

I have a small (150) set of documents I'm doing some testing on.  After I
index them, I have 46 files in the index directory. Then I find a subset,
and for each I (a) remove it from the index, (b) edit it, and (c) add it
back into the index.  The code works fine.

However, the number of files in the index directory is mushrooming.  Here's
what happens:

Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 46 to 91
Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 91 to 133
Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 133 to 178

Each time the number of index files appears to grow by about 45.  I then
optimize and the optimize returns immediately (which, from my experience,
suggests that optimization isn't needed - or perhaps isn't working?).

I eventually got to over 500 index files and ended up running out of file
handles.

Is this normal?

Regards,

Terry

PS: I'm using 1.2Rc5

PSS: When I reindex, it goes back to about 46 files.