lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Mushrooming Index Files
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:25:52 GMT
I have a small (150) set of documents I'm doing some testing on.  After I index them, I have
46 files in the index directory. Then I find a subset, and for each I (a) remove it from the
index, (b) edit it, and (c) add it back into the index.  The code works fine.

However, the number of files in the index directory is mushrooming.  Here's what happens:

Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 46 to 91
Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 91 to 133
Edit/add/delete 5 documents - index files grow from 133 to 178

Each time the number of index files appears to grow by about 45.  I then optimize and the
optimize returns immediately (which, from my experience, suggests that optimization isn't
needed - or perhaps isn't working?).

I eventually got to over 500 index files and ended up running out of file handles.

Is this normal?

Regards,

Terry

PS: I'm using 1.2Rc5

PSS: When I reindex, it goes back to about 46 files.