lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Murzaku" <li...@lissus.com>
Subject RE: Indexing synonyms
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:17:14 GMT
You could also do something with org.apache.lucene.analyzer.Token which
includes the following self-explanatory note:

  /** Set the position increment.  This determines the position of this
token
   * relative to the previous Token in a {@link TokenStream}, used in
phrase
   * searching.
   *
   * <p>The default value is one.
   *
   * <p>Some common uses for this are:<ul>
   *
   * <li>Set it to zero to put multiple terms in the same position.
This is
   * useful if, e.g., a word has multiple stems.  Searches for phrases
   * including either stem will match.  In this case, all but the first
stem's
   * increment should be set to zero: the increment of the first
instance
   * should be one.  Repeating a token with an increment of zero can
also be
   * used to boost the scores of matches on that token.
   *
   * <li>Set it to values greater than one to inhibit exact phrase
matches.
   * If, for example, one does not want phrases to match across removed
stop
   * words, then one could build a stop word filter that removes stop
words and
   * also sets the increment to the number of stop words removed before
each
   * non-stop word.  Then exact phrase queries will only match when the
terms
   * occur with no intervening stop words.
   *
   * </ul>
   * @see TermPositions
   */
  public void setPositionIncrement(int positionIncrement) {
    if (positionIncrement < 0)
      throw new IllegalArgumentException
        ("Increment must be positive: " + positionIncrement);
    this.positionIncrement = positionIncrement;
  }

--
Alex Murzaku
 alex(at)lissus.com  http://www.lissus.com