lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Pace <jmp...@fedex.com>
Subject RE: User Base
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:29:39 GMT
I didn't have to work hard to sell my manager on Lucene.  When our
commercial search engine had trouble, the maker always wanted to send 3
people down for a week at $200/hour per person.  The company always
discontinued support for older versions to get us to "get current" on their
latest search engines--costing more money up front and with continuuing
support agreements that never seemed to cover what goes wrong.

The truth is, you are never "assured" that support is going to be there if
you buy software--especially in this economy.  I see more security for the
future in open source because it is not dependant on any one company staying
in business.

As for Lucene, I send questions to the developers group and it is  answered
completely within a few hours by active developers of Lucene.  I have had
great technical support on this project and I am looking for opportunities
to give something back.

Jonathan M Pace
Corporate Portal Development
FedEx Services