lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <>
Subject Re: definite matching
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:52:01 GMT

You should read the query syntax to be more confident. It's available
in the left side of the Lucene website.

Anyway if you want to only find documents with a given term or set of
terms put a + in front of EACH term you are searching for

+hello +world

You can also use the AND construct if you are using the QueryParser.

hello AND world

this gets translated into
+hello +world

The other options are to have a minus sign (-) which will returns
documents that don't have that term

+hello -world

will find all documents with the term hello and not world.
Note: You cannot use the - option alone.

Also you can use NOT in the same way

hello NOT world

results in

hello -world

Finally the OR operator (the current default) operator between terms

hello world

or equivalently

hello OR world

will find all documents with hello or world in the field.

I hope this helps.