lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: definite matching
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:52:01 GMT
Hi,

You should read the query syntax to be more confident. It's available
in the left side of the Lucene website.

Anyway if you want to only find documents with a given term or set of
terms put a + in front of EACH term you are searching for

+hello +world

You can also use the AND construct if you are using the QueryParser.

hello AND world

this gets translated into
+hello +world

The other options are to have a minus sign (-) which will returns
documents that don't have that term

+hello -world

will find all documents with the term hello and not world.
Note: You cannot use the - option alone.

Also you can use NOT in the same way

hello NOT world

results in

hello -world

Finally the OR operator (the current default) operator between terms

hello world

or equivalently

hello OR world

will find all documents with hello or world in the field.

I hope this helps.

--Peter