lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Spencer, Dave" <d...@lumos.com>
Subject RE: Using Pooled IndexSearchers?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:45:29 GMT
One idea - have you tried searching with a RAMDirectory instead of an
FSDirectory?
If you index fits into memory then this could be a win.
Some notes & code here:

http://www.tropo.com/techno/java/lucene/rammer.html

Note: I know some people have huge indexes that "can't" fit
into RAM...but I'm sure I've read that Google uses solid state ("ram")
disks
in their search farm. Can't find the article however that says this.
Might have been an interview w/ E. Schmidt.

Also: does Lucene have any buffer control in the API?
In theory shouldn't IndexSearcher, or FSDirectory, have control
over buffering of disk blocks?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Pace [mailto:jmpace@fedex.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:08 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Using Pooled IndexSearchers?

Just a question for the group.  Is anyone using or have benchmarked a
pooled
IndexSearcher setup?  (Especially the Jakarta Commons POOL
implementations)
I am looking to increase the concurrent search performance because quite
few of our users use DateFiltering which dramatically increases search
times.

Is it worth the effort?

Thankyou in advance.

Jonathan M Pace