lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: Need Help URGENT
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:26:41 GMT
I think the answer is yes.

When creating a Lucene Document you can create a field which is the URL
field. If you are not searching for words within the field, I would
probably make it a keyword field type so you don't tokenize it into
multiple Terms.

Then you can great a multi-field search.

url:www.apache.org AND lucene

Where url is the field where the URL exists and the term you want to
search for in your default field is Lucene.

To answer what I think your second question is I will restate the
question.

Can Lucene support subsearching.
Well yes and no. I will answer how to accomplish this, there is also
some information in the FAQ about this.

You can just add criteria to the search so

url:www.apache.org AND lucene AND indexing

This will return the subset of information.

If you are going to do the same search over and over again, you may
also want to look at filters, which basically keep a bitset of a Lucene
search results so you don't actually have to do the search again, just
an intersection of two bitsets.

When you get the Hits back you can get the information from what ever
field you want including the URL field that you will create.

I hope this helps and is on the mark. If not, the answer in can you use
Lucene to accomplish the task the answer is typically yes (The
questions then become just how much work has to be done on top of
Lucene, or is Lucene the right tool).

--Peter