lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Birtwell <David_Birtw...@vwr.com>
Subject Re: Query Boosting
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:11:36 GMT
Harpreet,

This looks like a fine solution to me.  As an alternative, you could use
Field boosting at index time.  Before you add the security credential
field to the lucene Document object, you could call field.setBoost(0.1f).

FYI, field boosting is not part of the release.  You can get it from the
public CVS.

DaveB

harpreet@sansuisoftware.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My application requires a facility to have security build into the documents so that when
i search for a given word depending on the security credentials stored in a field in the document
the results are filtered .

>Now the problem i am facing is that the score of such results includes these security
credentials in the query in addition to the query entered by the user. So the relevancy according
to the actual search word entered by the use is affected .

>One way that i see to avoid this is by boosting the words entered by the user and reducing
the boost for the security credentials.