lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Craig Walls <wal...@michaels.com>
Subject FileNotFoundException while indexing
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:02:16 GMT
This is my first post to this mailing list, so I hope it works...

We've been trying to use Lucene as our search solution, but every so
often we get a ton of the following in our log files:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/WebSphere/michaels/search/working/artprints/_xx.fnm (A file or
directory in the path name does not exist.)
        at
java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java(Compiled Code))
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.michaels.search.ProductIndexer.run(ProductIndexer.java:39)
        at com.michaels.search.MasterIndexer.run(MasterIndexer.java:56)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:512)

At first, we thought it was because we had multiple threads trying to
add to the same index. That concerned me a bit because I thought that
the write.lock and commit.lock files would prevent bad things like this
from happening if multiple threads were writing to the same index.
Nevertheless, we now have a single thread doing our indexing and it
seemed to work fine for several days, but this morning we found the same
errors in the log file.

What would cause this, how can we fix it, and why isn't write.lock and
commit.lock not seeming to help with this?

A bit more info, if it helps: We are running this within a thread that
is kicked off by a servlet when a certain URL is visited. If an indexer
thread is already in progress, we don't kick off another thread. This is
all running within WebSphere 4, running on AIX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig