lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From harpr...@sansuisoftware.com
Subject Query Boosting
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:45:03 GMT
Hi,

My application requires a facility to have security build into the documents so that when
i search for a given word depending on the security credentials stored in a field in the document
the results are filtered .

Now the problem i am facing is that the score of such results includes these security credentials
in the query in addition to the query entered by the user. So the relevancy according to the
actual search word entered by the use is affected .

One way that i see to avoid this is by boosting the words entered by the user and reducing
the boost for the security credentials.

I tried something like :
<User Query>^1 AND <Security Credentials>^0.1

This seems to work for the current set of data which i have .

Is this the right approach or is there any other better away to handle this.

I would really appriciate if someone can help me with this .

Thanks And Regards,
Harpreet