lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kelvin Tan <kelvin-li...@relevanz.com>
Subject Deleting fields from a Document
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:31:44 GMT
There is currently no way to delete fields from a Document. I
wondered if this was evil, in any way, and looking at the source of
Document.java, found no evidence that it is so.

Document maintains a linked list of Fields. It would be not be
difficult to delete a random Field, albeit a little inefficient.

The reason why I need to delete fields, is that my index has been
inadvertently corrupted by fields with bad values from the
application. Attempts to add in correct values for these fields don't
solve the problem because the "bad" field still exists. One possible
solution is to create a new document, enumerate through all the
fields of the old document and add the ones you want. I don't have a
huge problem with that, but I also wonder if field deletion is truly
taboo.

Maybe someone can shed some light here?

Regards,
Kelvin