lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Harpreet S Walia" <harpr...@sansuisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Query Boosting
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 06:31:36 GMT
Thanks a lot Dave and Ype .

Dave , I tried the setBoost you had mantioned. what i found is that i have
to set the boost of the other fields to 1 in order to get proper results . i
am not sure why , but its working  :-).

Ype, the other option that u suggested is great . i guess this is a more
proper way of doing it . i also found some references to the same in the
mail archives.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Harpreet

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Birtwell" <David_Birtwell@vwr.com>
To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: Query Boosting

> Harpreet,
>
> This looks like a fine solution to me.  As an alternative, you could use
> Field boosting at index time.  Before you add the security credential
> field to the lucene Document object, you could call field.setBoost(0.1f).
>
> FYI, field boosting is not part of the release.  You can get it from the
> public CVS.
>
> DaveB
>

> harpreet@sansuisoftware.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >My application requires a facility to have security build into the
documents so that when i search for a given word depending on the security
credentials stored in a field in the document the results are filtered .

> >Now the problem i am facing is that the score of such results includes
these security credentials in the query in addition to the query entered by
the user. So the relevancy according to the actual search word entered by
the use is affected .

> >One way that i see to avoid this is by boosting the words entered by the
user and reducing the boost for the security credentials.