lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Joshua O'Madadhain" <jmad...@ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Comparing Intermedia and Lucene
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:39:45 GMT
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Peter Carlson wrote:

> I have used intermedia in the past and found that it had a few
> advantages and disadvantages compared to Lucene.
>
> Advantages of Intermedia
> 4) Supports term expansion and contraction
>
> Now items 3 and 4 of Intermedia advantages can be added as Features to
> Lucene, but are not currently.

I'm not sure what you mean by "supports term expansion".  In the IR
community, there are many different mechanisms for term expansion; perhaps
in the database community the term is more restrictive.  My understanding
is that the only thing you need in order to be able to expand terms (or
queries) is to be able to modify queries, which you can certainly do under
Lucene.  (A research project of mine uses Lucene as the core for a search
engine that does query expansion, among other things.)  Yes, I had to
write some code to do this, but static term expansion, in which each term
is expanded to a fixed list of other terms (which may be
specifiable/modifiable by administrators or users), is pretty
straightforward to code (my project used a considerably more sophisticated
mechanism).

If what you mean is that there is no specific API for term expansion in
Lucene, that's true, but I'm not sure how much value such an API would add
to Lucene.

Joshua O'Madadhain

 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson