lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Belanger" <rbelan...@forrester.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and RDBMS.
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:41:40 GMT

I would also be interested in this.  We have an interMedia engine running
in production and have just built our first Lucene engine.  So far Lucene
seems to be comparable in speed - but I don't have enough data yet to give
any feedback on the quality of the search results.

By the way, we are accessing our data from a database without using any
intermediate files - we just grab the content as an InputStream, wrap it
with a bunch of cleanup tools, and deliver it to Lucene.  It is very clean.

Rich

Richard C. Belanger
Chief Technology Officer
Forrester Research
400 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139

rbelanger@forrester.com
http://www.forrester.com

                    Mariusz Dziewierz

                    <aristot@student.uci.a       To:     Lucene Users List <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    gh.edu.pl>                   cc:

                                                 Subject:     Re: Lucene and RDBMS.

                    09/25/2002 08:22 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Lucene Users List"

Nader S. Henein wrote:
> We had to do the same thing, we moved from an Oracle Intermedia search to
> Lucene (much better) the data is stored in the database.

Could you give some reasons which lead you to conclusion that Lucene is
much better than Oracle Intermedia in terms of searching data stored in
database? I'm currently reviewing technologies related to text mining
and I am very curious about your motives because I haven't opportunity
to evaluate both technologies yet.

--
Mariusz Dziewierz

For additional commands, e-mail: <