lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <>
Subject RE: Lucene and RDBMS.
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:09:50 GMT
We had to do the same thing, we moved from an Oracle Intermedia search to
Lucene (much better) the data is stored in the database.
What we did is produce XML files on an interval (15 minutes) and those files
would be picked by the indexer witch would delete any previous occurrence of
the same entry and re-index the new one and then optimize the index. You
could do the whole process in one shot retrieve a stream from the DB and
then pass it directly to Lucene, but the stream should be in field,value
pairs ( so XML makes sense ).

The answer to your question is no you don't have to use files to create the
index. The index itself is file based though.

Nader Henein

-----Original Message-----
From: Rehan Syed []
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 10:51 AM
Subject: Lucene and RDBMS.

I am in process of implementing a Knowlegde base for internal use by my
The contents of this Knowledge base will be stored in one or more database
table(s).  I am evaluating Lucene for performing text searches on this
Knowledge base. I understand that Lucene has two components, indexing and
searching, but both these components work on files, not on text data stored
in an RDBMS.

In order for me to use Lucene, would I need to develop a process that will
extract text data out of the database, create text files and then do the
indexing and searching?  Are there any other approaches to this problem?
Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message