lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ian Parkin" <iapar...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: How to handle umlauts ?
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:16:40 GMT
Hello All,

> > I have 100,000+ small HTML files that are mainly in the
> > english language. I
> > just noticed that we have some user names with umlauts. These
> > are seemingly
> > stored and searchable as the '?' character.

This appears to be a Solaris thing. I develop under Solaris 9 and then burn
my application onto a multi-platform CD (Unix/Win/Mac). It is only when I
run the application under Solaris that the umlauts appear as the '?'
character. On all other platforms the characters are correctly displayed.
All platforms are running Java 1.3.1.

Two questions :-

1) Has anyone any experience with such behaviour ? (Apologies for the
non-lucene content)

2) How to search on text containing umlauts ? At the moment a search on
"jürgen" returns no hits, but a search on "rgen" will return posts by user
Jürgen.

Thanks

IAP