lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From n..@bayt.net
Subject RE: Lucene and RDBMS.
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

The initial motivation behind switching from intermedia to Lucene was a
first step in achieving DB abstraction because if you rely on intermedia for
your indexing and searching purposes you're pretty much stuck with Oracle,
an excellent DB but if you're business is growing the licensing fees become
massive. Another thing is that I don't maintain one index on the Database
server, I maintain an index on each webserver witch allowed me to reduce the
average load on the DB machine by 78%, it's a little bit of a
synchronization might mare but we've had it in place for the past three
months without incident plus you have redundant indexes in-case one becomes
corrupted. Furthermore the traffic between the DB machine and the webserver
witch was inflated by having to pass search results back and forth has been
dwarfed.

Now the true joy behind using Lucene is the performance boost you'll get, we
had intermedia customized and tuned to our needs yet Lucene was able to give
a 200% increase in performance , a huge asset to our site witch is mainly
search driven.

PS: the reason why we create XML files and then hand them to Lucene is
because, the files are then used for display purposes and caching purposes,
because once they are transmitted to the webserver machines they save me the
hassle of retrieving them from the database since they are the most recent
version of the documents.

Nader Henein