lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tim Dawson" <tim.daw...@notiva.com>
Subject re: IndexSearcher on JAR resources?
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:36:38 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I searched the archives, but may have missed it.  I suspect
> someone has done this before:
>
> How can I read a Lucene index that is stored within a JAR
> file rather than directly on the file system?  I want to
> integrate a read-only index into a WAR and an EJB environment
> which has the easiest possible installation and also adheres
> to the "no filesystem access" rules of EJB.

I'd like to repeat Erik's question since as far as I can tell from
searching the arhives, doesn't seem to have been answered yet.

I need to do almost exactly the same thing as Erik - create a read-only
index on our "help" webapp that will be packaged inside an ear file.
I'll probably end up creating an ant task to do the actual indexing.

Has anybody packaged indexes into a jar before? Why is the API so
restrictive as to require an open filesystem?

Thanks,

Tim