lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Comparing Intermedia and Lucene
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:01:04 GMT
I have used intermedia in the past and found that it had a few
advantages and disadvantages compared to Lucene.

Advantages of Intermedia
1) Content in database so can be easily accessed and fielded out with
many tools
2) Can combine text queries with SQL queries
3) Has richer support for themes
4) Supports term expansion and contraction

Now items 3 and 4 of Intermedia advantages can be added as Features to
Lucene, but are not currently.

Advantages of Lucene
1) Search Speed (intermedia was very very slow for us when search full
text - also I run Lucene on a single processor sun an I ran Intermedia
on a dual processor box with a RAID)
2) Index integrity (When we indexed with Intermedia it would fail 1 out
of every 5 or 6 times)
3) Indexing Speed (Indexing was about 2/3 slower on Intermedia)
4) File based (It is easy to distribute a Lucene index on multiple
computers, where Intermedia you had to connect to one mondy machine)
5) Cost
6) Support (the Lucene mailling list provide much better support than
Oracle)
7) Personal skill level (To run Intermedia I would recommend having
someone knowledgeable as a DBA)
8) Built in QueryParser (Intermedia does not come with a way to parse
the query string into an Intermedia Query - you have to write your own).

Some of this issues may have been specific to my situation, but that's
my experience.

--Peter