lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject SearchBean Updated
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2002 01:09:10 GMT
Hi,
SearchBean is a simple class that sits on top of Lucene and provides  
field level sorting and an Iterator like interface for the search  
results and paging.
It can be viewed in the sandbox contributions area.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/ 
searchbean/

I have updated SearchBean to hopefully fix the unoptimized exception  
that occured when trying to access a deleted document from the index.

I added a SearchBean.close() to free the Searcher resources.

I have also changed the functionality when there are no results. It use  
to return null, now it returns a HitsIterator that will return 0 for  
all appropriate fields.

I have also added a unit test to test an unoptimized index.

Please let me know if you run into any problems.

--Peter

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 10:44 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I've done some more checking and it appears that the problem is in
> HitsIterator.sortByField() in creating the arrayOfIndividualHits[],  
> which
> throws an array out of bounds exception.  I'm a bit stumped about what  
> to do
> from here, as I don't fully understand the logic.  Perhaps you have  
> some
> idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Terry
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Terry Steichen" <terry@net-frame.com>
> To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:12 PM
> Subject: Re: SearchBean - search on index with deleted documents
>
>
>> Peter,
>>
>> I just implemented the change you recommended below but to no avail.
>>
>> The challenge is that when I 'reindex' a changed document (deleting  
>> and
>> adding from the index) and then optimize for each such change  
>> process, it
>> takes far too long.  But if I skip the optimization step, the search  
>> no
>> longer works.  I get no error messages, a query simply returns  
>> nothing.
> If
>> I then invoke optimize, the search capability is completely restored.
>>
>> So, basically, for my purposes, the suggested change - for whatever
> reason -
>> simply doesn't work.  If you have any other ideas on how to get  
>> around the
>> optimize delay (which, in my case, is about 30 seconds or more), I'd  
>> sure
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Terry
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Peter Carlson" <carlson@bookandhammer.com>
>> To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Cc: <piyush@merito.co.nz>
>> Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 9:54 AM
>> Subject: Re: SearchBean - search on index with deleted documents
>>
>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Please direct all Lucene related questions to the Lucene User's List.
>> You'll
>>> get more people to help and hopefully help other too.
>>>
>>>
>>> I think if you change the SortedField.addField method to
>>>
>>>     /** adds the data from the index into a string array
>>>      */
>>>     private void addSortedField(String fieldName, IndexReader ir)  
>>> throws
>>> IOException{
>>>         int numDocs = ir.numDocs();
>>>         fieldValues = new String[numDocs];
>>>         for (int i=0; i<numDocs; i++) {
>>>             if(ir.isDeleted(i) == false){
>>>                 fieldValues[i] = ir.document(i).get(fieldName);
>>>             } else {
>>>                 fieldValues[i] = "";
>>>             }
>>>         }
>>>         ir.close();
>>>     }
>>>
>>>
>>> I think this will work. I'm not yet sure if this is the best way to  
>>> go,
>> but
>>> I think it will get around the bug. It removes any field values you  
>>> are
>>> sorting on in the field so you should never run into a problem.
>>>
>>> I don't have an unoptimized index at hand, and unfortunately no time  
>>> to
>>> test. Please let me know if this works.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --Peter
>>>
>>>
>>> On 7/29/02 7:23 AM, "piyush@merito.co.nz" <piyush@merito.co.nz>  
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Peter,
>>>>
>>>> I've found the SearchBean very useful for our project, but seem to
> have
>> run
>>>> into problems when it comes to searching an index which has had
>> documents
>>>> removed using the IndexReader.delete method (without calling the
>>>> IndexWriter.optimize method).
>>>>
>>>> In particular the error returned is:
>>>> "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: attempt to access a deleted
>> document"
>>>>
>>>> This occurs in the SortedField.addField method and I believe has to  
>>>> do
>> with
>>>> the fact that IndexReader returns all documents - whether deleted or
>> not.
>>>> When the index is optimized the deleted documents are actually  
>>>> removed
>> and
>>>> the problem does not occur (ie if the *.del file is removed from the
>> index).
>>>>
>>>> Any thoughts on a work-around for this?
>>>>
>>>> Apologies if my understanding is flawed here - I'm new to this, and
>> thanks
>>>> very much for your help.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> <mailto:lucene-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> <mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:lucene-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:    
> <mailto:lucene-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:  
> <mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:lucene-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message