lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Is Lucene suitable for one-time index and one-time search ?
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:09:48 GMT
Mailing Lists Account wrote:
> I need to search a bunch of documents.Each document needs to be searched
> only once. That means once I build the index and search it, I have no need
> for that index and the document again.

This does not sound like the problem that Lucene is designed to solve.
Lucene can solve it, but not in a very efficient manner.

Will you use the same query repeatedly on different sets of documents?
If so, then it sounds like you might be doing categorization.  An
efficient way to do this is to build an index of queries and then search
it with each new document (instead of searching documents with queries).
  You might be able to get Lucene to work in that manner, but it is not
ideally suited.

Doug