lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sid_Rais...@VWR.COM
Subject Re: pdfbox on solaris
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:08:07 GMT

Hi:

This is a problem I ran into on Linux while indexing PDF docs. Although my
problem was that my code was opening a pdf doc to index it, and NOT closing
it. Soon it ran out of memory. But this may not be the issue with you.

Sid

                    Ben Litchfield

                    <ben@csh.rit.e       To:     Lucene Users List <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    du>                  cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: pdfbox on solaris

                    08/28/02 08:59

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to "Lucene

                    Users List"

I know that there are some memory issues with some documents.  The next
release of pdfbox fixes some of these.  Although I am not sure why it
would run differently under windows than solaris.  Off the top of my head
maybe the solaris JVM uses more memory per object than the windows JVM.
The easiest workaround is to increase the maximum heap size(mhs) of the
jvm using the -Xmx option of the jvm.

Example:

java -Xmx128m <java app>

The default mhs of java is 64m since JDK1.2 so maybe try 128 or 256.

-Ben

http://www.pdfbox.org

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Deenesh wrote:

> Hi,
> i am using the pdfbox on solaris 8 and am trying to index a pdf file
which is around 1 mb.

> I am getting a java.outofmemory error.
>
> Though the same code works fime under windows.
>
> Has anyone get the same problem?? Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks
> Deenesh

For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>