lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: batch indexing
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 21:01:33 GMT
I was just thinking about doing something similar, but after looking at
your code I thought couldn't the same thing be done by manipulating the
mergeFactor on the existing IndexWriter? It already indexes n documents
into memory before writing a new disk segment. I just looked at it again
but I can't see without a detailed study whether the mergeFactor applies
to merging from RAM to disk only or for merging on-disk segments as
well. If it applies to both, perhaps we could add a different field to
the IndexWriter to allow the two values to be different? Am I missing
something?

Dmitry.

> Subject:
> batch indexing
> From:
> Halácsy Péter <halacsy.peter@axelero.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:19:43 +0200
> To:
> "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>

>Hello everybody,
>there were a lot of discussion about batch indexing. I've attached a BatchIndexWriter
class that can speed up the indexing. I haven't tested (release early release often).

>Unfortunatly one has to modify lucene code to use it: add two methods to IndexWriter.java
>
>  /** Sets the analyzer which the text will be analyzed with.
>   */
>  public synchronized void setAnalyzer(Analyzer a) {
>      this.analyzer = a;
>  }
>
>  /** Returns the analyzer that is used to analyzer the text.
>   */
>  public synchronized Analyzer getAnalyzer() {
>      return analyzer;
>  }
>

>Developers! Couldn't you add these methods in the cvs? they're very helpful if one wants
to make a wrapper or decorator class.