lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Deleting Problem
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:30:49 GMT
Terry Steichen wrote:
> fine now. (I thought I read someplace that you didn't have to optimize after
> a delete, but if I don't, it doesn't seem to work.)

You don't need to optimize after delete for search results to be
correct.  However IndexReader.docFreq() may be incorrect until you've
optimized.  So if your application requires that IndexReader.docFreq()
is always correct, you'll need to optimize after deletes.

An alternative, if you sometimes need to know the actual current
frequency, but don't want to optimize after deletes, is to make a single
term query and use Hits.length().  This is slower than docFreq(), but
does take account of deleted documents.

Doug