lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Joshua O'Madadhain <>
Subject Re: contains
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:55:36 GMT

I think what Peter was trying to get at was the question "when is it
useful for a search engine user to be able to search for words that
contain a particular letter?"

For a language like Chinese, it would certainly be useful to be able to
search for a single character.  However, the informational content of a
single letter in an alphabet-based language (such as English) is so low
that I have trouble believing that it would be useful to be able to do
this kind of search.

That is to say: unless this feature has been presented to you as a
requirement, you may want to think about how it might be used in practice
before you spend a lot of time implementing it.

Joshua O'Madadhain Per
 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Pradeep Kumar K wrote:

> Hi Peter
>   I want to include an option called "contains " in my search application.
>  for  example: Name "contains"  'p' like that...
> Thanks for reply.
> Pradeep
> Peter Carlson wrote:
> >Do you really want to be able to find items by letter? Do you have some
> >other purpose that tokenizing by letter is trying to get around.
> >
> >If your do want to tokenize by letter, you can create your own tokenizer
> >which creates breaks up items by letter. See the current tokenizers under
> >org.apache.lucene.analysis.
> >
> >--Peter
> >
> >On 7/10/02 10:26 AM, "Pradeep Kumar K" <> wrote:

> >>Is it possible to search for a word contains some letters?
> >>example : "God is love"
> >>
> >>how can I create query to search for sentences having  "d".
> >>I found that lucene is tokenizing a sentence  in to words not into letters.
> >>is it possible using lucene? Can anybody give a clue for this?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message