lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <...@bayt.net>
Subject Crash / Recovery Scenario
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 05:40:10 GMT

I'm currently using Lucene to sift through about a million documents, I've
written a servlet to do the indexing and the searching, the servlets are ran
through resin, The Crash scenario I'm thinking of is a web server crash (
for a million possible reasons ) while the index is being updated or
optimized, what I've noticed is the creation of write.lock and commit.lock
files witch stop further indexing because the application thinks that the
previously scheduled indexer is still running (witch could very well be true
depending on the size of the update). This is the recovery I have in mind
but I think it might be somewhat of a hack, On restart of the web server
I've written an Init function that checks for write.lock or commit.lock ,
and if either exist it deletes both of them and optimizes the index. Am I
forgetting anything ? is this wrong ? is there a Lucene specific way of
doing this like running the optimizer with a specific setup.

Nader S. Henein
Bayt.com , Dubai Internet City
Tel. +9714 3911900
Fax. +9714 3911915