lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "none none" <>
Subject Re: Index smarts
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:15:25 GMT
 if you need that to "Highlight" the document as google or altavista, take a look at the contributors
section, a guy Mark had the main idea and also implemented it.
I have a better version that may be i'll send to the mailing list, but it is wrote in C (actually
C++) and have been tested on Win NT.
It is a Java compatible Library (DLL).

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:23:17
 Chris Sibert wrote:
>Does the Lucene index keep track of where in the original document it found each term's
occurrence ?
>For example: Lucene is indexing a file, and one of the terms found was "banana", and "banana"
occurred in the file 3 times. Does Lucene save in the index where it found each occurrence
of "banana" ? So for example, I could go to the file's offset of position 100 and find "banana".
For that matter, does Lucene know that it was found three times, or just that it was found
>The reason I ask is that when a user searches for something, I might like to just display
snippets of the original file where the term was found, instead of the whole thing, because
some of the files are quite large.

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message