lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Numeric Support
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:38:19 GMT
What would be the criteria for Numeric support?

Currently we are looking to add the ability to hack around adding numeric
support by creating a NumberField (exactly analogous to DateField).

The idea right now is that it would pad the numbers to some level, and only
handle integers at the beginning.

If you mean behind the scenes numeric support where you can pass in a number
to a document field, or be able to know that a given token should be a
number and be mixed with text in the same field, I understand why that would
substantial.

However, just being able to search for a number by converting it to a
standard text format, and sort by that field correctly, I think that is on
the way, although slowly. This idea also supports range searches since the
number in text form will be alphanumerically ordered like numbers. Any math
will be difficult though.

This will require the query string that contains a number to be converted to
the standard number format using a static method like NumberField. Also it
will require a separate field that contains only number formatted terms.

I hope that helps.

Does this meet any of your criteria for number support?

--Peter