lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Samir Satam" <ssa...@copyright.com>
Subject Using Different Stop Analyzers...
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:57:08 GMT
Hi All,

I have a question about Analyzers. Now I know that the documentation states that I need to
use the same analyzers for both Indexing and Searching. But this question is only about the
Stopanalyzer.

Lets say I construct a StopAnalyzer with certain set of stopwords (stopwords(x)) while indexing.
My guess is that Lucene will probably read those stopwords and remove them from all my indexed
fields. Thus if I search on those stopwords I will not be able to find them.

Can I pass a different set of stopwords (stopwords(y)) possibly a superset of stopwords(x)?

And in this case will lucene think of stop words as
totalstopwordset = stopwords(x) (these are already removed from the index) + stopwords(y)
(these will be removed while searching)

Can somebody please let me know if my thinking is correct on this one?

The advantage of passing a different set while searching is that I can eliminate stopwords
without re-indexing all my documents.

thank you in advance,
Samir