lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Samir Satam" <ssa...@copyright.com>
Subject RE: LIFO or FIFO??
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 02:03:34 GMT
Thank you Brandon,
That surely is what seems to be happening... Does anybody know the algorithm lucene uses to
calculate hit score?

thanks again,
samir

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Jockman [mailto:brandonj@isogen.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:18 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: LIFO or FIFO??

Samir,

I think its more likely that the more recently indexed articles had a higher
'score' and thus were displayed first in results. Hits are ranked based on
an algorithm (see FAQ). You should printout the 'score' for each document
hit and see that the first results displayed actually had a higher score
than the older ones. I don't think FIFO/LIFO have anything to do with it...
Look at the scoring algorithm; then try searching for things that should
have a higher score in the older documents and see if they come up higher in
your results.

Hope that helps,

-Brandon
- brandonj@isogen.com