lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Olivier Amira <olivier.am...@webmotion.com>
Subject Using Boost factor in queries
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:59:31 GMT
Hi all,

  I'm looking for a good compromise to add a boost factor in my queries.
I generate a multi-field querie with multiples terms and I want to set a
specific boost factor for each fields.
ex:
query = name:( john steve bob ) AND type:( client boss ) AND position:(
first last second )

My objective is to set a boost factor for the name field and another one
for the position. But the following syntax is not valid:

query = name:( john steve bob )^2 AND type:( client boss ) AND
position:( first last second )^0.5

So, I see a solution (but not very elegant) by splitting all the terms
and add the same boost factor for each, like:

query = (name:john^2 OR name:steve^2 OR name:bob^2) AND type.....

But with this method, my query will be very long, and should be very
painfull to process for the search engine (at least, I think).

Somebody have a better idea?

Thanks.

--
-----  Olivier Amira  -----