lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Matthew B. Merrill" <...@nmi.net>
Subject Re: Escape woes
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:33:17 GMT

I think I have a workaround, but I'm not sure why it works (since it
doesn't mesh with the docs about escaping special chars).

In the examples below, I was using StandardAnalyzer.  If I switch to
using WhitespaceAnalyzer, then one of the examples that fails (in the
note below) becomes:

search string I construct: (host:"ny-dns-2")
query as reported by toString(): +host:ny-dns-2

returns the results I expect.

I just don't understand why.

I didn't have to escape the hyphen.  In fact, if I do escape them, I'm
back to no results.  I did have to quote the string I wanted to find.

Does anyone have an explanation they would care to share?

Thanks.

--- Matt