lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Sibert" <chrissib...@attbi.com>
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 22:23:17 GMT
Does the Lucene index keep track of where in the original document it found each term's occurrence
?

For example: Lucene is indexing a file, and one of the terms found was "banana", and "banana"
occurred in the file 3 times. Does Lucene save in the index where it found each occurrence
of "banana" ? So for example, I could go to the file's offset of position 100 and find "banana".
For that matter, does Lucene know that it was found three times, or just that it was found
?

The reason I ask is that when a user searches for something, I might like to just display
snippets of the original file where the term was found, instead of the whole thing, because
some of the files are quite large.