lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Sibert" <>
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 22:23:17 GMT
Does the Lucene index keep track of where in the original document it found each term's occurrence

For example: Lucene is indexing a file, and one of the terms found was "banana", and "banana"
occurred in the file 3 times. Does Lucene save in the index where it found each occurrence
of "banana" ? So for example, I could go to the file's offset of position 100 and find "banana".
For that matter, does Lucene know that it was found three times, or just that it was found

The reason I ask is that when a user searches for something, I might like to just display
snippets of the original file where the term was found, instead of the whole thing, because
some of the files are quite large.